ACBL Teacher Certification Program Overview
The ACBL currently endorses four teacher certification programs
- ACBL Best Practices Teacher Certification (formerly referred to as the TAP class) offered at NABC’s and may be arranged at Regionals
- LBIAD Instructor Accreditation is offered at NABCs
- Presentations for Better Bridge or Easybridge! need to be arranged through those organizations
ACBL Best Practices Teacher Certification
BEST PRACTICES TEACHER
Bridge Teacher – In order to be listed on ACBL’s website, teachers must be accredited by one or more of the following:
- ACBL TAP program
- Better Bridge
- Learn Bridge in a Day!
We also recognize ABTA Members, including Master Teachers.
BP Teacher – Has earned the ACBL Best Practices Teacher Certification, by demonstrating teaching proficiency. BP Teachers will receive a certificate and a special pin, be entitled to place the BP Teacher logo on marketing literature, and have access to special templates for ads, business cards, etc. In addition, they will be distinguished in ACBL’s teacher directory as a Best Practices Teacher.
- Be a current member of ACBL
- Pass the BP Teacher Pre-Test, a basic bridge knowledge test
- Participate in a BP Teacher Workshop: This new, contemporary workshop trains bridge teachers how to maximize student motivation and learning. Fast paced and highly participative, it engages participants in analyzing, practicing, giving and receiving feedback in small group simulations
- Pass the BP Teacher Assessment, a proficiency evaluation in which the candidate facilitates an interactive 10-minute bridge lesson.
BEST PRACTICES COACH
BP Coach – Has the opportunity to earn income by conducting BP Teacher Assessments in which candidates demonstrate best practices’ proficiency in teaching bridge.
- Earn the BP Teacher Certification
- Observe four or more BP Teacher Assessments
- Participate in a BP Coach Training Session
- Co-coach four or more BP Teacher Assessments
- Earn a BP Coach Certification, given by the BP Lead Coach
BP Lead Coach – Conducts BP Coach Training Sessions, co-coaches teacher assessments with coach candidates, certifies new BP Coaches and oversees conduct of BP Teacher Assessments. Has the opportunity to earn income by completing BP Lead Coach assignments as well as by conducting BP Teacher Assessments.
- Earn the BP Coach Certification
- Conduct eight or more BP Teacher Assessments independently
- Be observed at (or provide audio recordings of) four back-to-back BP Teacher Assessments
- Earn a BP Lead Coach Certification, given by Grace Major
BEST PRACTICES FACILITATOR
BP Facilitator– Has the opportunity to travel and earn income by conducting BP Teacher Workshops on behalf of ACBL at Sectionals, Regionals and NABCs.
- Earn the BP Teacher Certification
- Attend a BP Facilitator Workshop
- Co-Facilitate a BP Teacher Workshop with the BP Lead Facilitator (Grace Major in 2018)
- Travel expenses reimbursed but no fee paid
- Earn a BP Facilitator Certification, given by the BP Lead Facilitator
BP Lead Facilitator – Conducts BP Facilitator Workshops, co-facilitates teacher workshops with facilitator candidates, certifies new BP Facilitators and oversees conduct of BP Teacher Workshops. Has the opportunity to earn income by completing Lead Facilitator assignments as well as conducting BP Teacher Workshops on behalf of ACBL at Sectionals, Regionals and NABCs.
- Earn the BP Facilitator Certification
- Conduct three BP Teacher Workshops independently
- Be observed while conducting a BP Teacher Workshop
- Earn a BP Lead Facilitator Certification, given by Grace Major
Better Bridge Accreditation Program
The Better Bridge Accreditation Program is managed by Audrey Grant’s Better Bridge organization. Grant has developed teaching methods and the new Bridge Basics series of books to assist teachers in introducing players to duplicate.
The Better Bridge accreditation can be taken both live and online. Click the link below for more information.
Easybridge! Accredited Presenters Program
Easybridge! is a full marketing program designed to start a new club game by recruiting primarily brand new players and social bridge players to duplicate. The participants learn as they play. The lessons are designed to create a new club game and the program is best suited to bridge teachers who are club managers. The Easybridge! teacher-training program is administered by popular teacher and club owner, Marti Ronemus.
Easybridge! Presenters are trained through a mail-order course and a telephone follow-up test. Presenter manuals and mini-lessons are available for three levels of study.
Marti Ronemus for more information.
Learn Bridge in A Day?® Instructor Accreditation
This program instructs teachers in methods of administering and presenting LBIAD.
Teachers wishing to be accredited must complete the following two requirements:
1) Serve as a Table Mentor at an LBIAD seminar led by either Melissa Bernhardt or Patty Tucker, and
2) Attend a two-hour LBIAD Teacher Training event presented by Whirlwind Bridge.
Teacher Training will include information on organizing and marketing LBIAD as well as maximizing retention rates, writing effective grant requests and the presentation of the seminar.
Please contact Patty Tucker for more information.
Upon completion of any of these programs, teachers will be recognized as accredited by the ACBL and receive these benefits:
- A listing on the ACBL’s online Find a Teacher directory. Apply here.
- A $100 gift certificate for Baron Barclay for every 25 new members recruited during a calendar year.
- A $500 bonus check for every 100 new members recruited (no time restrictions).
- An invitation to the ACBL’s Teacher/Club Manager Thank You Reception at each NABC.