Become a Club Director
Opening a new bridge club or starting a new game is an exciting venture for bridge players. Clubs are like families, and you as the director have the opportunity to be the perfect host. The atmosphere of fun and competition is yours to create.
What does it take to be a good club director? These are the essential requirements:
- Technical skills needed to run bridge games of all types.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Laws of Duplicate Bridge and ACBL regulations.
- Knowledge of Live for Clubs, ACBLscore, and ability to work with required software and hardware.
- Public relations skills to balance the roles of referee, judge, teacher, psychologist and entertainment director.
First, however, you need to prepare for the Club Directors Exam.
You can prepare for this exam by studying on your own or by enrolling in the Club Directors Course, which is given regularly at the North American Bridge Championships, online and at number of regional tournaments. It is an open-book, online test. You must answer at least 65 percent of the questions correctly to pass the test and become a certified ACBL Club Director.
These materials will help in your preparation for the exam:
- ACBL Laws of Duplicate Bridge. (view or purchase)
- ACBL Club Directors Handbook (view or purchase)
- Updated Duplicate Decisions (view or purchase)
- ACBLscore – Download this FREE MS Windows-based software. No authorization code is required
- Live for Clubs tutorials
Taking the Exam
Registration for taking the exam can be found at https://my.acbl.org/events/lookup. Look for the “Test Only” sign-up.
You can also register for the full club directors’ course at the link above.
Email Melody Euler at email@example.com.