2013 World Youth Open Championships
World Bridge Federation President Gianarrigo Rona, stopping off at the Open European Championships in Ostend, Belgium, said registration is looking good for the World Youth Open Championships in Atlanta in August.
Rona said pairs and teams from 15 countries, including the U.S., have registered and others have made inquiries about securing visas in order to visit America for the tournament.
So far, Rona said, players from these countries have signed up: China, India, Colombia, Argentina, Venezuela, Australia, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Israel, Turkey, Poland, England and Sweden.
All events are transnational, meaning players from various countries can form teams or pairs.
Many of the players already in Atlanta for the ACBL's Youth NABC Aug. 1-3 are expected to stay to compete in the world event. "It's a good chance for everyone to meet new friends," he said. "It will be a great tournament."
Bridge players from around the world, born 1988 or later, are eligible to participate in the 10-day world Youth championship event. Events include pairs, Swiss teams and board-a-match teams.
To help make this a success, the ACBL is paying half of the entry for all ACBL Members from the United States, Canada or Mexico. The ACBL will also assist those in need of additional resources by contacting local units and districts to help young players attend this event.
Additional information about the schedules, hotel and registration for both events can be found at http://www.youth4bridge.org/.
Please encourage your local Youth and Junior players to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
Click here for a schedule of events.