Documentary Planned for Youth NABC in Atlanta
Producer and filmmaker Porter Heath Morgan plans to capture the highlights of the first Youth North American Bridge Championships, taking place in Atlanta next week.
Tournament Chair Patty Tucker said Morgan has told her he plans to produce a 30-minute documentary for distribution to schools – and an abbreviated version for distribution on YouTube, the video sharing web site.
Tucker said interest in the tournament has gained momentum in recent weeks. She said she learns almost daily of prospective participants in the Youth NABC, which will feature a two-session pairs championship on Saturday, July 5, and a two-session Swiss teams championship on Sunday, July 6. Players must be 19 or younger as of July 1 and with fewer than 5000 masterpoints.
The Youth NABC will take place in conjunction with the Fourth of July Sectional in Atlanta. There will be warm-up games for the NABC participants on Thursday and Friday.
Morgan wrote to Jay Baum, ACBL’s chief executive, earlier in the year to describe the plans for the filming of the NABC. "The idea," Morgan wrote in an e-mail, "would be that (the documentary) would be entertaining and educational and that it could be distributed by the ACBL to schools around the country as part of an initiative to encourage and start up bridge clubs at those schools."
Morgan also has plans for filming at the 2008 Summer NABC in Las Vegas.